Voluntary Aided Schools -School Condition Applications for 2023/24
The application window is now open to apply for capital funding for schemes in 2023/24. All VA Heads and Chairs will have received an email with a letter outlining the process.
Categories of Church Schools
The different categories of church schools require their property to be managed in different ways. Whether your school is a voluntary controlled, voluntary aided, academy or a free school, find out the latest advice and guidance for any property and buildings work below.
Voluntary (aided or controlled) schools usually comprise two charities that work interdependently, the governing body, a corporate body created under the School Standards Framework Act (SSFA) 1998, which runs the school the charity usually called the foundation, which holds the land and buildings on trust for the provision of a school and/or for specified religious and educational purposes.
Each of these charities has its own charity trustees (usually called “site trustees”). Governors are charity trustees.
Refer to Deputy Director of Education for information of the trustees of the foundation.
To find out more about the rules governing the use of site, capital expenditure, SCA grants and consent for capital works click on the buttons below.
Academies comprise of three charities that work interdependently.
- The academy trust (academy proprietor) is the charity. The academy is the charitable activity of the academy trust.
The directors of the academy trust are charity trustees and company directors.
- The charity usually called the foundation, which holds the land and buildings on trust for the provision of a school and/or for specified religious and educational purposes
Multi Academy Trusts (a group of Academies)
The above three charities applies but:
- The academy trust is one single charity
- The directors of the academy trust are both charity trustees and company directors
- Each individual school has its own local governing board (LGB), but are not charity trustee but are sub-committee with delegated authority as set out in the scheme of delegation