Guidance for Clergy

It can be daunting when starting a new role, so we thought that a bit of guidance would be helpful. You can also check the finance section of the website to find guidance on specific areas

Guidance for Clergy

HLC Scheme

Under arrangements agreed with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC,) parochial clergy may receive part of their stipend paid free of tax and National Insurance in reimbursement of heating, lighting, cleaning and garden upkeep (HLC or HLCG) costs. For further details, please visit the HLC Scheme section of the Church of England website.

Weddings and funerals

For details of current year statutory parochial fees, and guidance for Ministers in respect of funeral collections, Voluntary Ministers and payment of fees to the Diocese, please refer to the Fees - Weddings and Funerals page.

Clergy expenses

Stipends are paid to clergy on the basis that parochial expenses are reimbursed in full.  If, therefore, clergy do not claim all their expenses, or their expenses are not fully reimbursed, they are receiving less than their full stipend.  PCCs should be committed to reimbursing clergy expenses in full.

The Church of England booklet "Parochial Expenses Guide" gives guidance to both clergy and PCC treasurers about the reimbursement of expenses.

Guidance and Claim Forms for Voluntary Ministers

Guidance on Fees for Voluntary Ministry

The national church has issued advice to dioceses concerning fees offered to Voluntary Ministers, and the following document provides guidance specific to the Diocese of Hereford, effective from 1 January 2024:

Claim forms for Regular Worship

Below is the Claim Form which you should use to claim fees from the Diocese for casual duty during vacancies, extended periods of sickness and sabbaticals.  The claim form should normally be available in the church where the service is conducted.  Once completed, it should be forwarded by a PCC official (usually a Church Warden) to the Rural Dean for approval.  Where Voluntary Ministers conduct numerous services, or no claim form is available in the church, the Voluntary Minister can complete the form and submit to the Rural Dean for approval directly.  However, it is important that the service is recorded only once; if the form is submitted directly to the Rural dean, the form in the church should not be completed.

Powered by Church Edit