Reporting Concerns or Abuse

Image of an orange rotary phone on a wooden desk

Training and Events Safeguarding Team

What should you do if you have concerns or suspicions about the welfare of a child or adult?

You may have concerns about the welfare of a child or adult, or suspicions about the behaviour of an adult.

  • In an emergency, call the emergency services on 999
  • Other non-urgent contact numbers are on the next page: Safeguarding Team
  • Otherwise, consult the person to whom you are responsible to. Decide together whether to seek advice or make an immediate referral to the police or children/adult services.
  • Always contact the Diocesan Safeguarding Officer and notify them.
  • Keep a record of what has happened, your concerns and your actions.
  • Only share with others who need to know.

Advise the diocese on all safeguarding matters when there are concerns about harm to children or adults who may be vulnerable, or when allegations or observations of abuse have been made.

Confidential information can be shared if 

  • You have consent from the person


You can share information without consent if –

  • a child or adult is at risk of significant harm
  • prevention, detection or prosecution of a serious crime is prejudiced
  • withholding information would lead to an unjustified delay in making enquiries about allegations of significant harm.

Extended confidentiality – for example, you ask the person if you can speak to the DSA, as uncertain if this is something that should be passed on.

Powered by Church Edit