Training and Events Safeguarding Team
What should you do if you have concerns or suspicions about the welfare of a child or adult?
You may have concerns about the welfare of a child or adult, or suspicions about the behaviour of an adult.
- In an emergency, call the emergency services on 999
- Other non-urgent contact numbers are on the next page: Safeguarding Team
- Otherwise, consult the person to whom you are responsible to. Decide together whether to seek advice or make an immediate referral to the police or children/adult services.
- Always contact the Diocesan Safeguarding Officer and notify them.
- Keep a record of what has happened, your concerns and your actions.
- Only share with others who need to know.
Advise the diocese on all safeguarding matters when there are concerns about harm to children or adults who may be vulnerable, or when allegations or observations of abuse have been made.
Confidential information can be shared if –
- You have consent from the person
You can share information without consent if –
- a child or adult is at risk of significant harm
- prevention, detection or prosecution of a serious crime is prejudiced
- withholding information would lead to an unjustified delay in making enquiries about allegations of significant harm.
Extended confidentiality – for example, you ask the person if you can speak to the DSA, as uncertain if this is something that should be passed on.
Safeguarding Organisations and Charities
lti-Agency Safeguarding Hub
Children – 01432 260800 (weekday office hours)
Adult – 01432 260715 (weekday office hours)
Emergency Duty Team – 0330 123 9309(after 5 pm, weekends and Public Holiday)
Shropshire County Council
Child or Adult Concern – 0345 678 9021 (weekday office hours)
Emergency Duty Team – 0345 678 9040 (after 5 pm, weekends and Public Holiday)
Telford and Wrekin County Council – Family Connect
Family Connect – 01952 385385 (weekday office hours)
Emergency Duty Team – 01952 676500 (after 5pm, weekends and Public Holidays)
Powys County Council
Child or Adult Concern – 01597 827666 (day time)
Emergency Duty Team – 0845 054 4847 (after 5 pm, weekends and Public Holiday)
Worcestershire County Council
Children – 01905 822666 (weekday office hours)
Adult – 1905 768053 (weekday office hours)
Emergency Duty Team – 01905 768020 (after 5 pm, weekends and Public Holiday)
National Charities to report, or to obtain support form are:
NSPCC: 0808 800 5000
Childline (helpline for children): 0800 11 11
National Domestic Violence Helpline: 0808 2000 247
Action on Elder Abuse: 0808 808 8141